Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hillary Clinton at the University of Maine - The view from outside, turned away, in the cold

Hillary Clinton at the University of Maine - The view from outside, turned away, in the cold
By Alex Hammer

Update: Hillary Clinton also appeared in Lewiston.

I am writing this during Hillary's scheduled campaign event at the University of Maine Recreation Center. But I am not inside watching the event.

I, and perhaps 1,000 others, were turned away.

And not politely either.

I'll explain...

I showed up to attend the event at The University of Maine around 8:50. The event was scheduled to begin at 9:30, and already there was a long long line. The line was moving as people were entering, and by around 9:15 there was only around 25 people still ahead of me in line. But around 1,000 behind me and still arriving to line up.

We were all waiting very patiently in the cold. I was excited and looking forward to seeing Senator Clinton in her UMaine campaign event. I'd never seen the Senator before.

And I still haven't.

Around 9:15 -- and it was handled very poorly -- no apology or niceties, no coordinated approach -- just a single burly man (Hillary staffer?, he never identified himself or had any identifying material he was wearing that I could see) walking down the long line - swiftly - saying that the event was "at capacity" and that no one else would be let in.

Very poorly done.

Let's consider for a minute the planning of this event. I realize I suppose that the University of Maine needs to showcase it's new elaborate, gorgeous and expensive Recreation Center - but why would Hillary (and the University) schedule an appearance in a building - the Senator's only campaign appearance in the State - in a site with such limited capacity space (and I have no idea whether admittees inside could sit or were forced to stand, as I never made it in).

It makes no sense. Unless you consider what may be the obvious. Hillary could go anywhere in the entire state (and she could do more than one appearance also). Why would she select such a small venue? Well, I'm not privy to her campaign, but one of the first rules of political events is not to select a site where there will be a lot of empty seats, hence the candidate appears unpopular.

Unfortunately, in this line of thinking, appearances trump consideration. The event becomes about the attendees serving the purposes of the candidate, rather than the candidate serving the people.

My guess, as this UMaine appearance is Hillary's only campaign event anywhere in Maine (as far as I know) is that people likely traveled from all over the state, or at a minimum considerable distance, to be able to attend. How many out of that large group that were so gruffly turned away had traveled some distance to see her? (I had traveled only from Bangor, but had dressed up and been really looking forward to the event).

Perhaps this would be a good time to add that I think I now better understand the term "on the bus" (I've written for The Huffington Post "off the bus" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-hammer) . After we were told we could not enter, later on the crowd still remaining was dispersed so a large bus could enter. It said "Press" and was given direct access. There's room for all of them (although they arrived long after us), and they don't need to wait at all!!

In regard to the University, my guess is that Alfond arena would hold many many more people.

The police were not friendly either from what I witnessed. They, and all the government officials walking around (e.g. TSA on their jackets) all were (I guess) so busy even though none interacted with the large crowd outside that I could see!

I'm part of the press via this site, but I never try and "pull strings" as they say (I didn't mention being a press member to anyone while waiting outside the event). I had RSVP'd to the event, as Hillary's campaign had asked attendees to do (like that really accomplished anything as what happened this morning demonstrates, is the RSVP just a way for them to get more online contacts??) and in my RSVP I had mentioned Maine News and that I was interested in a press credential if that was possible.

Never heard back from the campaign.

I was given press access by the University when former Senator William Cohen came to speak:
My Interview With William Cohen - By Alex Hammer

and I appreciated that.

I previously have not been impressed, from personal experience, with Bill and Hillary Clinton:
Bill Clinton, Governor John Baldacci, and Alex Hammer
(I never heard back in regard to this either, despite follow-up)

although as mentioned I was highly excited about today's UMaine event (I'm not a Hillary supporter for President but I would very much enjoy seeing the leading candidates).

People were upset about being turned away. I heard one Mom consoling her daughter, maybe eight years old, telling her "Don't be mad".

It was so sad to hear that.

It made me upset at Clinton when I saw the unnecessary pain being caused.

About 15 minutes after the crowd was told no entry, about 100 individuals were still waiting, hoping against hope that they would be admitted (that's when I left).

It's pathetic, and it's sad.

Senator Barack Obama's event is this afternoon, at the Bangor Auditorium, a much much larger venue I'm sure (don't know the stats). He is known for drawing large(r) crowds, so we'll see whether he has done an adequate job, on his campaign's part, of forecasting and planning - i.e. whether people will also be turned away from that event or not.

(I do realize that Maine has only so many large facilities. Booking the Bangor Auditorium is about as good, I think, as one could reasonably expect).

This is President of the United States they are campaigning for. Hillary, in the way that this played out today, showed strongly - to my mind - that she is not worthy of that office.

While this is to some perhaps "small stuff", it nonetheless provides a window, perhaps, in regard to how individuals think, how they plan, and what their priorities seem to be.

Maybe she thinks she is too good for Maine. I personally believe we are too good for her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for relating your experience. I agree with your conclusion. By contrast, you are probably aware that Obama personally spoke about 5 minutes to the 2,000 who could not make it into his event. I think the contrast is cleat.